Lips are the sensitive part of the mouth and the appearance of bumps on inside of lip can be very painful as well as irritating. It can also affect your self-confidence as well. Bumps on inside of lip are caused by a weak immune system, poor skin condition, or indicate that there is a more serious underlying health problem.
Bump on inside of Lip Causes
You may also experience lip bumps that look like small white dots, others turn into large cysts, and some become blisters. If you have lip bumps, you may wish to get rid of them as fast as possible. Having sores inside lips can cause discomfort since we use lips for eating, drinking, and speaking.
Some of the common causes of bumps on inside of lips include the following:
- Cold Sores (Fever Blisters)
Cold sores also known as fever blisters. These sores begin as small bump on the inside of the lips and eventual form clusters of blisters on the mouth. These blisters are marked by red, swollen, and sore. According to experts, cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) which can also cause swollen taste buds (lie bumps).
According to Dr. Varnada Karriem-Norwood on WebMD, these viruses that cause cold sores enters the body via cracks on the lips thus can be transmitted through deep kissing with an infected partner or sharing eating utensils or razors.
It is advisable to understand all factors that trigger cold sore virus in order to be able to prevent them from occurring. According to the University of Michigan, the most common triggers of cold sores are:2
- Intestinal problems
- Other infections
Honey can be used to get rid of cold sores on the lips naturally. The raw honey is endowed with antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help to destroy any skin infection including the herpes simplex virus.
According to the study published in 2015, honey is considered to be more effective in treating cold sores on the lips than acyclovir, a pharmaceutical cream usually used for herpes infections.
Take a clean cotton swab and dab it in a little honey then applies on the inside of the lips. Repeat this several times per day and always throw away the cotton swab after use.
- Mucous Cyst (mucocele)
It begins as a small red spot on the lip and turn into a cyst. These types on bumps mainly appear on the inside of the lower lips but they have the ability of also occurring on the surface of the tongue. Mucous cysts are caused by sucking the lip membranes between your teeth or they can be caused by lip piercings.
According to Dr. Linda J. Vorvick, if the bumps are not treated, they could result in permanent type of bumps on the inside of the lower lips. Stress is also a factor behind formation of these types of bumps on the inside of the lips.
According to the Indian Journal of Dental Research, it shows that men between the age of 20 and 30 are susceptible of developing these types of bumps on the inside of the lips.
The use of Manuka honey can be used to treat mucous cysts on the lips. This is because Manuka honeys has powerful antibacterial properties and is effective in healing wounds. Use a clean cotton swab and apply the honey on the parts that are affected on the lips with Manuka honey.
Alternatively, you can also use evening primrose oil since it has large amounts of g-linolenic acid that has the ability to get rid of mucous cysts on the lips. Apply a small amount of evening primrose oil to the mucous cyst twice a day until it’s completely gone.
- Canker Sores
This could be the reason behind formation of bumps inside the lips. These are small round white sores that form inside your mouth. It appears as itchy bumps and also clusters of bumps around the mouth. The exact cause of canker sores is unknown.
According to mayo clinic, the cause of canker sores is linked to small injuries, food sensitivities, nutrient deficiencies, helicobacter pylori bacteria (which causes ulcers), or stress can all cause outbreaks of canker sores.
It is advisable to have a well balance diet, healthy lifestyle and avoid foods like chips, pretzels, and acidic fruits which could irritate your mouth in order to prevent canker sores. Also, maintain proper oral hygiene to reduce the chances of the appearance of lip bumps caused by canker sores.
It is recommended to use witch hazel in order to reduce the discomfort caused by the cankers sores. This is a natural remedy that is endowed with antiseptic properties that help to prevent and treat canker sores.
Mix some amount of witch hazel in warm water and some drops of clove oil. Mix well and swish this around your mouth for a few minutes to soothe canker sores.
Alternatively, you can also use some baking soda paste to ease the symptoms of canker sores completely. Use a cotton swab to apply the baking powder paste to the canker sore for a soothing relief. This acts as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory on the canker sore to relieve the pain and irritation.
There are some instance you may experience acne on the inside of the lips, around mouth and jawline. These bumps develop into pimples or pustules. Acne develops when the skin pores around the mouth become clogged with oil and dead skin cells.
However, there are many reasons as to why some people are prone to development of acne outbreak around the mouth than others. But many people experience pimples formation around the lips during the period of clogged skin pores.
It is recommended to use tea tree around the lips in order to treat acne. Tea tree has the ability to get rid infection resulting in acne due to antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. Put a drop of tea tree oil on the end of a cotton swab, dab it on the spot for a few days until it’s gone.
Perioral dermatitis is the common cause of red bumps on inside the lips and around the mouth. According to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology, you may experience bumpy and scaly red rash around the lips.
The exact cause of perioral dermatitis is unknown but it is linked to the overuse of steroid creams and sprays could cause the condition.
Aloe vera and coconut oil can help to get rid of perioral dermatitis and reduce the red bumps around your mouth. This is because coconut oil is said to be a natural moisturizer while aloe vera has the ability to heal wounds fast.
- Fordyce Spots
These are tiny white bumps on the inside of your lips. These bumps on the lips are harmless and painless. Fordyce spots are sebaceous glands in the lips without any hair follicles. To make them visible, stretch your lip skin a little bite.
According to doctors from WebMD, Fordyce spots are a natural occurrence, are harmless, aren’t contagious, and don’t require any treatment. You should never try to pick or squeeze the bumps.
- Sunburn Blister
Over exposure to the sun for a long period of time can result in the formation of bumps on the lips. The lower lips are more susceptible since it is exposed to the sun more than the upper lip. These blisters can become painful and swollen and cause discomfort when eating. Sunburned lips can also trigger cold sores.
Limited exposure to the sun can help to get rid of sun blisters on the lips. You could wear a wide-rimed hat which shades your face, or you can use lip protection cream with an SPF 30+.
Alternatively, you can also apply some amount of honey on the lips to treat blisters on the lips caused by sunburn. Honey contains powerful antibacterial properties that promote healing of wounds fasters.
According to Dr. Jennifer Robinson on WebMD, it is advisable not to burst painful and large blisters around the mouth. This will invite infection on the mouth lips.
- Oral Thrush
This fungal infection can result in formation of white spots or bumps on the mouth and also on the back of your tongue or throat. The fungal infection can also result in sores, cracked and red mouth lips.
According to Dr. Michael Friedman on WebMD, oral thrush is caused by Candida fungus and this can spread to the mouth when the delicate balance of microorganisms in the mouth is upset.
If you have weak immune system or take more of antibiotics, these factors put you at the risk of developing oral thrush. Reduce the intake of sugar in order to prevent development of oral thrush. Good dental hygiene practices can also help to prevent oral thrush.
It is advisable to use apple cider vinegar (ACV) in order to get rid of oral thrush. Mix equal amounts of raw unprocessed ACV with water, soak a cotton ball in the liquid and apply the compress to the wherever you have oral thrush to get rid of the infection. Keep the compress on for 10-15 minutes then rinse with warm water. Continue doing this until the symptoms of thrush improve.
- Allergic Reactions
Allergic reaction to certain foods drink, medicines, insect bites, or even pet dander can trigger fat and swollen lips. According to Dr. Rob Hicks on WebMD, fat and swollen lips could be a symptom of anaphylaxis, which requires immediate medical attention.
If you think you have an allergic reaction to something, it is important to try and identify the trigger to avoid a reoccurrence.
- Milia Spots
Milia spots appear as little white bumps. They occur when small, dead skin cells becomes trapped in the skin. While milia spots most commonly occur on the face, they can also appear on the lips.
Clear Bump inside Lip Causes
Fluid filled bumps on inside the lips are known as mucous cysts. They are caused by HSV infection. The infection result in a blister like bumps on the upper lips.
It is recommended not to pop the blister since it could enhance spreading of the infection to the other parts of the mouth. Some of the common causes of clear bumps inside the lip include the following factors:
- Medications such as nalidixic acid (NegGram) and furosemide (Lasix)
- Skin diseases such as dermatitis herpetiformis, pemphigoid and pemphigus.
- Infections such as bullous impetigo, herpes simplex virus (types 1 and 2); chickenpox and shingles
- Allergic contact dermatitis
Formation of blisters on the lips is not obvious and this requires medical attention. You can use over the counter medication or visit your health care for diagnosis and treatment.
Bump on Upper Lip inside
Having bumps or spots on your upper lips can make you feel more self-conscious. However, these bumps are harmless but no one wishes to have them on the lips.
The same factors that cause bumps or white spots on inside the lips are the same that causes bumps on the upper lips. Some of the main common causes include:’
- Contact allergy
- Lip pimple
- Mucous Cysts
- Canker sores
Bump on Lower Lip inside
According to medical research from Cleveland University, having bumps or pimples on the corner of the mouth or outside the lips is common. Oral infection can result in the formation of bumps on inside of your lips that become hard and inflamed.
Some of the common causes of bumps on lower lips from inside include the following factors:
- Canker Sores
- Mucous Cysts
- Oral Lichen Planus
- Cold Sores
- Oral Thrush
- Fordyce Spots
However, these bumps can be treated by use of natural remedies or ingredients from the kitchen. Some of the natural treatment may include; use of raw honey, aloe vera, coriander and sage. In case of severe symptoms, it is recommended to visit your medical provider for treatment.
Mucous Cyst Lip – How it Looks and Causes
It is also known as a mucocele. This is a fluid filled swelling inside the lips of a person. Mucous cysts inside lips are caused by the following factors:
- Lip biting (most common cause)
- Cheek biting
- Accidental rupture of a salivary gland
- Adjacent teeth causing chronic damage
Most of mucous cysts are harmless and painless. When they occur deep in the skin, they will require medical treatment since it causes a lot of discomfort while eating or drinking.
Some of the common symptoms of mucous cyst include:
- Raised swelling
- Bluish color
- Rounded shape
- Whitish color
How to get rid of Bump on inside of Lip
The following are the top natural remedies for bumps inside the lips:
- Aloe Vera
This is considered to be the best and effective remedy for any bump or pimple on the lips. It has certain properties such as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and curative properties that help to ease the pain and inflammation as well as enhance faster healing process.
How to use
- Extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf and apply it directly on the canker sore. Do this several times a day.
- Alternatively, you can rinse your mouth with fresh aloe vera juice about three or four times a day.
- You can also take at least two tablespoons of aloe vera gel three times a day for quick results.
This is one of the natural remedy for treating bumps such as canker sores on the lips. According to research, coriander has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antifungal properties that play a vital role of reducing pain and inflammation around the lips.
How to use
- Boil a handful of coriander leaves in a glass of water. Strain the solution and allow the water to cool. Gargle with the lukewarm water at least three or four times a day.
- Boil one cup of water and add one teaspoon of coriander seeds to it. Allow it to sit for some time and then strain it. Rinse your mouth with it three or four times a day.
- You can also drink the juice from fresh coriander leaves several times a day. Instead of drinking the juice all at once, keep it in your mouth for some time so that the juice can do its magic on the affected area.
Raw honey has both antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to soothe the lips that are affected with pimples or bumps.
How to use
- Apply one teaspoon of honey carefully all around the canker sore. It will hurt for a few minutes, but it will then ease the pain and inflammation. Do this several times a day.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a fine paste. Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse your mouth well with lukewarm water. Repeat the process twice daily.
Salt solution or salt crystals have the ability to draw fluids from the bumps on inside of the lips and in the process fasten the healing process.
How to use
- Mix one teaspoon of salt in one cup of lukewarm water and stir it well.
- Use the solution to rinse your mouth. Swish the solution around for at least 30 seconds and then spit it out. This will help disinfect your mouth.
- After completing your rinse, put a pinch of salt directly on the canker sore. It will cause some pain, but it will help a lot in the healing process.
- Repeat the process four or five times a day.
- Baking Soda
This is an effective natural ingredient that helps to get rid of bumps inside the lips such as canker sores. It also helps to soothe the pain and reduce inflammation of the affected area on the lips.
How to use
- Add a little water to one teaspoon of baking soda to make a paste. Apply the paste to the affected area using your fingers or a cotton ball. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. Do this three or four times a day.
- Alternatively, you can mix two teaspoons of baking soda in a glass of warm water and use it to rinse your mouth. Follow this simple remedy four or five times a day.
This herb helps to particularly heal canker sores at home. The properties of sage help to ease pain and inflammation.
How to use
- Add three teaspoons of sage leaves to two cups of boiling water. Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Let the solution cool to room temperature and then use it to rinse your mouth. Do this three or four times a day.
- Alternatively, apply powdered sage leaves directly on the canker sore and leave it on for a few minutes. Repeat this several times a day to get rid of the sore.
- Tea Tree Oil
It contains both antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to disinfect any skin ailment such as canker sores.
How to use
- Add 10 drops of tea tree oil to a glass of water. Use the solution as a mouthwash to rinse your mouth. Do this three or four times a day.
- Alternatively, dilute two drops of tea tree oil in one-half tablespoon of water and apply it directly on the canker sore. Do this two or three times a day.
- How to Get Rid of a Canker Sore Fast: https://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/get-rid-canker-sore-fast.html/2
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Pimple on Lip Naturally: https://www.homeremediesblog.com/pimple-on-lip-home-remedies/
- Mucous Cyst: https://www.healthline.com/health/mucous-cyst
- How to Get Rid of Mucocele (Mucous Cyst): https://diyremedies.org/mucocele/
- Bumps in Mouth: https://www.enkiverywell.com/bumps-in-mouth.html
- Blister (Overview): https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/blisters.html
- Blister on Lip Causes, Treatment, and Prevention: https://healthrow.net/blister-on-lip/