Does toothpaste get rid of pimples? Get insights on how to use toothpaste to get rid of pimples, scars, blackheads, and redness fast. We have also included the best tips to consider before using this remedy for pimple treatment.
Does Toothpaste get Rid of Pimples?
Toothpaste is made from different ingredients that can help to get rid of a pimple. The common ingredients include hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, menthol, silica, and triclosan. These ingredients have the power to perform the following:
- Killing off the Bacteria
Toothpaste contains triclosan that is an anti-bacterial compound. It is also found in other antibacterial products such as soap, deodorants, and body wash. When applied to a pimple, it kills the bacteria that causes growth, swelling, and inflammation. Hydrogen peroxide also contains antibacterial properties.
- Drying the Excessive Oil
Baking soda that is common in different types of toothpaste helps to dry off the oil. When applied on a pimple, it dries the excessive oil as well as cleansing the blocked pores. A pimple develops when excessive oil that is produced by sebaceous gland clogs up the pores.
- Reducing the Swelling
A pimple is characterized by swelling. Applying a toothpaste that contains menthol on a swollen pimple can help to bring it down. Menthol contains anti-inflammatory compounds that reduce swelling that result from a pimple.
You will realize a great relief several hours after using this ingredient.
In summary, a toothpaste contains active ingredients that have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties that kills bacteria while reducing redness and swelling. Its absorbent properties also help to dry off the excess oil produced by sebaceous glands. It also exfoliates the skin to cleanse the clogged pores.
There are different types of toothpaste on the market. However, not all of them can be used to get rid of a pimple. Some may increase inflammation, dry off your skin or may not be effective on your pimple. When choosing the best toothpaste to use on a pimple, it is important to follow the tips below:
- Choose a White Toothpaste
When shopping for a toothpaste to get rid of a pimple, go for the one that is completely white in color. Most of the white toothpaste that is white in color contain ingredients such as baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, triclosan, and silica that are effective on how to get rid of a pimple.
The other colored toothpaste may contain ingredients that irritate the skin.
- Go for Organic Toothpaste
When intending to use a toothpaste to get rid of a pimple, go for an organic one. Organic toothpaste is made from natural ingredients such as baking soda, witch hazel, tea tree oil, and menthol that are effective in treating pimples and friendly to your skin.
Avoid those that contain fluoride and other chemicals that may irritate your skin.
- Refrain from using Whitening Toothpaste
It is advisable to avoid using a whitening toothpaste on a pimple. They contain bleaching compounds that can bleach or irritate your skin. When such toothpaste is used on a dark skin, it may react with melanin to cause blemishes of uneven skin tone.
- Choose Low Fluoride Toothpaste
Toothpaste that contains a large amount of fluoride can cause skin irritation when used to get rid of pimples. It is best to choose those that contain a low amount of fluoride. It is important to read the ingredient composition percentages on the packet before purchasing.
- Avoid the Gel Toothpaste
Gel toothpaste may contain different ingredients that may cause skin irritation. They may also clog the pores to worsen the condition. They may also lack the active ingredients that are effective in treating the pimples.
Does Toothpaste get Rid of Pimples Fast?
There are different ways you can use toothpaste to get rid of pimples fast. Some of them include using additional enhancements as shown below:
- White Toothpaste
White toothpaste contains active ingredients such as baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, silica, triclosan, and menthol. These ingredients contain anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of a pimple. To use this remedy:
- Wash your hands and the affected area to prevent re-infection
- Squeeze a pie size of white toothpaste and use your index finger to apply directly on the pimple.
- Allow it to stay overnight.
- The following day, rinse it with water
- Use a clean towel to dry it and apply a moisturizer.
- Repeat the exercise once a day until when a pimple dries off.
- Toothpaste and Honey
Honey has additional enhancement when used together with toothpaste. It contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties that help to get rid of a pimple fast when combined with a toothpaste.
- Mix ½ tablespoon of toothpaste with ¼ tablespoon of honey.
- Clean your hands and the affected and apply the mixture.
- Allow it to stay for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
- Repeat this process once a day.
- Toothpaste and Baking Soda
Although organic toothpaste may contain some baking soda, increasing the amount a little can help to heal a pimple fast. Baking soda contains both antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat a pimple. To use this remedy:
- Mix ½ tablespoon of toothpaste, ½ tablespoon of baking soda and few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- Clean the affected area and apply a thin layer of the mixture over a pimple.
- Leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Pat dry and apply a moisturizer
- Repeat the exercise 2 times a day,
- Toothpaste and salt
Ingredients found in the toothpaste work faster when mixed with salt. The salt helps to restore pH and oil balance on the affected area. It is also an excellent exfoliating agent that help to cleanse the pores through exfoliation of dead skin cells. To use this treatment:
- Mix equal amount of toothpaste and salt to make a paste
- Apply a thin layer of the pate to the affected area.
- Massage it gently in a circular motion.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Pat dry and apply a moisturizer
- Repeat the procedure once a day to get positive results.
- Toothpaste and Cinnamon
Cinnamon helps to boost the efficiency of toothpaste to get rid of a pimple. It contains antibacterial properties that kill the bacteria that causes inflammation of a pimple. It also helps to cleanse the pores.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of toothpaste with ½ tablespoon of cinnamon
- Apply the mixture directly to the affected area.
- Allow it to stay for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
- Pat dry with a clean towel and apply a moisturizer.
- Repeat the exercise regularly to get positive results.
- Toothpaste and Garlic
Garlic contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to get rid of acne fast when combined with toothpaste. It helps to kill the bacteria as well as alleviating irritation and redness. How to use:
- Crush a piece of garlic and mix it with some toothpaste
- Apply the mixture directly to the pimples
- Allow it to stay for 15 minutes before washing it off.
- Pat the area dry and apply a moisturizer.
- Repeat the exercise regularly to obtain a positive result.
Toothpaste to get Rid of Pimples on Nose?
The correct choice of toothpaste can help to get rid of pimples on any part of your body including the nose. When applied on a pimple on your nose, it helps to kill the bacteria as well as alleviating redness and swelling associated with it. However, there is a procedure to use that include:
- Washing the affected area. Before applying the toothpaste, ensure that your hands and the affected area are clean. Wash with warm water to remove dirt and excessive oil. Use a clean towel to dry it off.
- Appling the toothpaste. Squeeze a pea size toothpaste to your finger and apply it directly on the pimple. The amount of toothpaste varies depending on the size of the affected area. Ensure that a pimple is fully covered. Target only the affected areas, avoid spreading it to the surrounding areas.
- Allowing the toothpaste to stay on your nose overnight. Allow the toothpaste to penetrate a pimple However, if you have a sensitive skin, allow it to stay for 15 minutes only.
- Rinsing it off with water. Soak a clean washcloth in warm water and use it to remove the toothpaste from the affected area. Gently rub around a pimple to exfoliate the dead skin cells. Rinse it off, pat dry and apply a moisturizer.
- Repeating the exercise regularly. Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, repeat this procedure several times a week. However, it should not exceed four times. After several days, you will be able to notice some improvements.
There are various precautions to take before applying toothpaste on a pimple on any part of your body. Some of them include:
- Before applying toothpaste on your face, perform a patch test on another part of your body to determine if you are allergic to some of the ingredients.
- Do not use toothpaste to get rid of a pimple if you have sensitive, dry, or inflamed skin.
- Don’t allow toothpaste to stay for over 10 minutes on a sensitive skin.
- If you have sensitive skin, avoid using a toothpaste that contains menthol, fluoride, and other chemicals as it can cause irritation, burning sensation, or even skin peeling.
- Avoid using toothpaste more than four times a week. Too often use can cause irritation, uneven patches, and skin peeling.
- Consult your dermatologist before using toothpaste to get rid of pimples on any part of your body.
Toothpaste for Pimples and Blackheads
According to website Livestrong, blackheads develop when keratin and excessive oil get trapped inside a hair follicle. The accumulated material oxidizes to become black when they become in contact with oxygen from the air. Blackheads are considered to be precursors to pimples.
The same ingredients in a toothpaste that are used to get rid of a pimple can also be used to treat blackheads. It contains hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, menthol, triclosan, and baking soda that help to dry off the excessive oil and bacteria that is trapped inside the pores.
Applying toothpaste to a sensitive skin can cause irritation, it is therefore important to do a test first. Apply it on a small area of your skin and allow it to stay for 10 minutes before rinsing off. If your skin becomes red or irritated, you can try other commercial products that are formulated to treat blackheads.
However, if it does not show any adverse effects, you can now go ahead and apply it over the blackhead and allow it to stay overnight. Rinse it off the following morning with cold water and apply a moisturizer to prevent the skin from drying excessively.
Toothpaste to get Rid of Pimples Scars
Toothpaste is effective on how to get rid of pimple scars due to its silica content. Silica is also found in beef jerky bags that helps in draining moisture. Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, it can be used together with other remedies to get rid of the scars as follows:
- Toothpaste and Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contain vitamins that are essential and healing and fading off the scars. It is also a natural moisturizer that prevents your skin from drying off. You simply mix a pea size toothpaste with few drops of Aloe Vera gel and apply directly on the scars. Allow it to stay for 10 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Toothpaste and Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains natural bleaching properties that fade away the scars while promoting skin healing. The remedy is even more effective when mixed with toothpaste. Mix ½ tablespoon of lemon juice with the same amount of toothpaste.
You can add a few drops of water to dilute if you have a sensitive skin. Apply it directly on the pimple scars, allow it to stay for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with water. Repeat this procedure regularly.
- Toothpaste and Baking soda
Baking soda contains sodium bicarbonate crystals that exfoliate the skin to fade away the scars. You simply mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda, ½ tablespoon of toothpaste and some water to make a paste. Apply it directly on the scars, massage it gently in a circular motion for a minute. Allow it to stay for 10 minutes before washing it off. Repeat the exercise a couple of times a week.
- Toothpaste and Coconut oil
Coconut is a natural moisturizer that helps to repair a damaged skin. Mix 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil with a ½ tablespoon of toothpaste to make a thick paste. Apply it directly to the scarred area. Allow it to stay for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with water. Repeat the procedure several times a week.
- Toothpaste and Cucumber
Cucumber is used in treating various facial skin blemishes due to its vitamin A, vitamin C and, Magnesium. To use this remedy for the treatment of scars, you simply crush cucumber slices and mix it with some toothpaste. Apply the mixture of the pimple scars and allow it to stay for 10 minutes before rinsing them off. Repeat the procedure several times a week to get positive results.
Can Toothpaste get Rid of Pimples Overnight?
Toothpaste is effective in drying off a pimple overnight. It contains drying compounds that draw out oil and other impurities from a pimple to make it reduce in size. However, this treatment may have negative effects such as redness and irritation of a sensitive skin.
If your skin is sensitive to some of the ingredients in a toothpaste, you can try other commercial products that are formulated for treatment of pimples. Some of the products include benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, and salicylic acid.
Salicylic acid is the recommended treatment of pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads. Sulfur may also be used to alleviate redness associated with pimples as well as speeding the healing process.
Benzoyl peroxide is an effective treatment although it can cause dryness, redness, and irritation.
Does Toothpaste get Rid of Pimples and Redness?
Toothpaste contains clotting property that reduces redness and swelling of a pimple. It also prevents the bacteria from spreading to the surrounding pores.
When applied on the affected area for an overnight, be sure to get some positive change the following morning. It is effective when the good choice of toothpaste is made and when other factors like skin sensitivity are considered.
Further Sources and References:
- Does toothpaste work to get rid of pimples: https://beauty.onehowto.com/article/does-toothpaste-work-to-get-rid-of-pimples-10234.html
- Toothpaste on pimples and acne: https://homeremediesforlife.com/toothpaste-for-pimples-and-acne/
- Toothpaste for pimples and scars: https://theindianspot.com/toothpaste-for-pimple-and-scars/
- How to get rid of blackheads with toothpaste: https://www.livestrong.com/article/81457-clean-clogged-pores/
- Would toothpaste get rid of an acne scar? https://www.quora.com/Would-toothpaste-get-rid-of-an-acne-scar
- Does toothpaste really work on spots: http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/beauty/skincare/toothpaste-work-spots-437054
- How to apply toothpaste on pimples: https://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Toothpaste-on-Pimples