How do you deal with puffy eyes from crying? Get insights on how to get rid of puffy eyelids fast.
What causes Puffy Eyes
Here are main causes of puffy eyes
Puffy eyes are common symptoms associated with seasonal allergies. When you have allergies your body releases histamine into your system, and in some cases when histamine is released into the skin, it causes a hive-like reaction around your eyes.
Diseases such mid face cheek pad causes the nasojugular ligament to become more prominent creating a demarcation and separation of eye from the cheek subunit. It can be treated through mid face lift.
- Fluid collection
(Edema) Fluid collection can be due to fluid overload, medical conditions causing water retention, inflammation from allergy or after surgery, poor lymphatic drainage, among others. The best treatment is to treat the underlying cause (avoid excess salt, sleep with head elevated, gentle massage, warm compress, allergy medication)
- Bulging fat
This may be an aging issue and can be corrected most effectively with blepharoplasty or fat transpositioning. It can be helped with fillers or auto fat transfer to the face but the ideal treatment is surgery.
It is more prevalent in young people with fair skin. The treatment for this is to avoid manipulation of the lower lid for some time and try to use some topical anti-inflammatory creams.
Sustaining a blunt trauma to the eye is among the more common cause of puffy eyes. Injury may come in the form of chemical contact to the eyes, such as exposure to chlorine in pools and strong detergents. Excessive eye rubbing can also lead the eyes to take a puffy appearance.
- Body conditions
Body conditions such as lack of sleep, excessive intake of salt, dehydration and eyestrain due to overuse.
Prolonging crying especially in children can lead to puffy eyes, as well as excessive alcohol and cigarette consumption over the long-term.
Some people may just have hereditary puffy eyes which are as a result of the size of the fat pads that everyone has around their eyes. If you have excess fat padding under the eyes they will appear bloated.
- Strong scented ingredients
Sensitizing ingredients like essential oils, citrus extracts, drying alcohol, and witch hazel aggravate skin, which often results in puffiness.
- Sun damage
Sun damage causes wrinkles, uneven skin tone or rough skin texture. It can also cause or worsen the appearance of puffy eyes. The skin around the eyes is thin and delicate, so any damage to it can cause a puffiness response. Ongoing unprotected sun exposure around the eyes also destroys the natural elasticity in this area leading to under eye skin sagging.
Other causes of puffy eyes are:
- Aging factors
- Crying or lots of bad emotions and physical stress
- Dermatitis and other skin conditions
- Dysfunctional tear glands
- Sinus problem
- Conditions like conjunctivitis
- Recovery from a major surgery
How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyelids Fast
Essential oils for puffy eyes
- Lavender oil has a calming and soothing effect on the skin and nerves in your under eye area.
- Lemon oil aids in relieving stress and also contains natural antioxidants. These will make the skin under the eye healthier and toned
- Chamomile possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties that will reduce the puffiness effectively.
Witch hazel is a natural astringent and also has a tightening effect on the skin. You can easily get rid of puffy eyelids with this remedy.
To use witch hazel:
- Soak cotton pads in cold witch hazel for a minute
- Wring out the excess and place the pads on your eyes for 10 minutes
- Repeat this twice or thrice
Coconut oil has Lauric acid and other components that possess anti-inflammatory properties. It also provides essential nutrients to the skin. Regular application of coconut oil will help you eliminate the eye bags.
To use coconut oil:
- Using clean fingers, massage the oil around your eyes in a clockwise and anti-clockwise motion for a few minutes.
- Leave it on overnight
- Do this every night before going to bed
Baking soda promotes blood flow and reduces eye bags. It is a natural exfoliate that imparts a glow to the under eye skin.
To use baking soda:
- Mix the baking soda well in the water and soak the cotton pads in it.
- Remove the excess water and place the pads on your eyes. Leave them on for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pads and rinse your face with cold water.
- Pat dry and moisturize
Petroleum jelly repairs, heals and moisturizes the skin. It also diminishes the swelling, irritation and soreness.
To use petroleum jelly:
- Message the jelly under and around your eyes for a few minutes before going to bed.
- Do this every night to get rid of the eye bags.
Deficiency of vitamin K in the body can cause your eyes to swell up and form eye bags. It is essential to have healthy diets that include vitamin K such as green leafy vegetables, broccoli, carrots, strawberries, sprouts and liver. Vitamin K is essential for healthy circulation of blood in the body.
How to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes from Crying
Tears are produced by the Lacrimal glands of the eyes. The primary purpose of tear production is to protect the eyes from infection and to prevent eye dryness. Due to crying, the lacrimal glands become overactive a factor that causes continuous flow of tears. Some of the soft tissues present around the eyes can absorb the excess tears causing puffy eyes. Due to crying, the automatic nervous system of your body also increases blood flow to your face. This can add to the swollen, puffy eyes that you get due to crying.
Here are home remedies to reduce puffy eyes from crying quickly:
Apply Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel has a natural cooling and calming effect. It is also reach in vitamins E and Anti-oxidants. Tapping the area around your eyes with fresh aloe Vera gel can be an effective solution to get rid of puffy eyes from crying.
To use aloe Vera:
- Scarp out aloe Vera pulp from the aloe Vera leaves and then smashing the pulp to form a gel like consistency
- Dab this gel on and around your eyes in excess,
- Massage with finger tips for 2 minutes and then leave on
- Wash it off once it gets dry
Cucumber is known to be the best treatment for eye puffiness caused due crying
To use cucumber:
- Take a cucumber and chop it into slices and place them inside the fridge for 15 minutes
- Take out the cucumber slices and place them on your eyes.
- Take a nap for 15 minutes and then remove the cucumber slices
- Repeat this twice a day to get rid of puffy eyes from crying
Wash your face with cold water
This is the easiest way to get rid of the puffy eyes after crying. Cold water helps in calming down and promotes constriction of the blood vessels on the face; this naturally reduces the excess blood flow and the redness. Cold water also helps in relieving your eyes from the stress of crying and speeds up quick drainage of the excess tears thus helping in reducing the puffy eyes.
Massage the bridge of your nose
Massaging your nose is very is very effective and easy way to get rid of puffy eyes from crying. Massaging the bridge of your nose with your fingertips, focusing on the points just beside your eyes can clear the sinus pressure which in turn will help in quick drainage of the tears and will also reduce the swelling. Massaging your nose after crying will also help in clearing the nose blockage making the blood vessels on the face go back to their normal condition quickly.
Strawberries are a great source of antioxidants and alpha hydroxyl acid both of which make your skin health. Strawberries also work efficiently to reduce eye puffiness, particularly when caused due to crying or over eye straining.
To use strawberries:
- Refrigerate one big strawberry and once it is chilled take it out.
- Make two thin slices of the strawberry to cover your eyes and the surrounding puffy eyes area.
- Leave it for 20 minutes with the strawberry slices on your eyes, then remove and pat dry.
Cold tea bags
Cold tea bags have been used for a long time and have been found to be effective to get rid of puffy eyes from crying.
To use tea bags:
- Take two used tea bags and then place them in a refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, take out the tea bags and place them over your eyes.
- Take a nap for 20 minutes then remove the tea bags and splash water on your face.
- Repeat this after 1 hour, you will see significant reduction in the eye swelling.
Potato has a cooling and soothing impact on eyes and also on and also on the skin. It helps to relax the eyes and promote better drainage of tears.
To use potato:
- Take a potato and grate it and squeeze out the juice.
- Soak two cotton pads in the potato juice and place them on your eyes.
- Take a nap for 30 minutes and then remove the pads.
- Wash off your eyes with cold water.
Yeast can also be use to get rid of puffy eyes from crying
To use baker’s yeast:
- Take a cup of lukewarm water and add half tablespoon of baker’s yeast to it.
- Soak two cotton pads in this mixture and cover and cover your eyes with the wet pads.
- Leave the cotton pads on your eyes for 15 minutes and then remove.
- Wash off your eyes well with cold water.
If you are allergic to baker’s yeast, avoid using it to get rid of puffy eyes from crying.
Puffy Bags under Eyes
There are numerous natural ways you can do to eliminate and help reduce the appearance of bags under eyes. Consider the following:
Take care of your Allergies
In most cases persons with allergy tend to have puffy bags under eyes every time the allergy flares up or during allergy seasons. So it is important to take care of your allergies by using essential oils for allergies to arrest the allergies before they start.
Avoid too much salt
Salt has sodium that can cause fluid retention and lead to puffiness around your eyes. If you have to use salt then use small amount of pure Himalayan sea salt. Also avoid salty foods like pizza and some soups, opt for fresh vegetables in particular celery which can help you curb the desire for salt.
Limit alcohol intake
Alcohol dehydrates your body and skin. This dehydration can cause the delicate area around your eyes to appear sunken and dark. Alcohol can cause bloodshot and tired eyes, hence drinking lots of water after a night of heavy drinking will make your eyes wide open and skin around your eyes will glow since they will be more hydrated.
Use a cold compress
If your eyes are swollen and puffy, try a cold compress. Not only can this help reduce puff eyes, you can do this by using chilled spoons on top of your eyes, cucumber slices or tea bags dampened tea bags with a drop of lavender essential oil.
Watch out for sunlight
Overdoing it in the sun can make your eyes sag and winkle as well as cause dehydration of the skin. A mineral based or homemade sunscreen, a good pair of UV-protected sunglasses and a hat can do a great job to help protect your face from those harmful rays, ultimately keeping the skin around the eyes from creping and darkening due to effects of the sun.
Hide your circles with concealer
Hiding your dark circles with concealer or use mineral-based options , apply it by lightly patting it into the skin around the eyes, do not apply too much as these can make dark circles, wrinkles and creped skin more prominent.
Use an All-Natural Eye Cream
Since aging typically causes dehydration of the skin due to lack of collagen, moisturizing is essential. There are lots of homemade eye creams such as baggy eye solution that can be used as a moisturizing agent.
Have more collagen into your diet
Collagen is found in our muscles, bones, skin and tendons. It gives your skin strength and elasticity and helps replaced dead skin cells. Increasing collagen can help your skin look firmer and in the process help your eyes from looking baggy.
Remove your make up before going to bed
Leaving your makeup on can irritate your eyes, causing them to water and get puffy. Make sure you gently remove your eye makeup to help eliminate any added irritation around the eyes.
How to Get Rid of puffy Eyes
Here are 14 ways to get rid of puffy eyes
- Hydrate your body
The best and easiest way to get rid of puffy eyes is to drink water. When the body is well hydrated, there is less chance of water retention that can cause your under-eye area and other parts of your body to swell. Water also helps flush toxins out of the body.
To stay well hydrated drink at least 8 glasses of water each day and reduce the amount of salt you eat to increase water retention in the body. Also avoid caffeinated and carbonated beverages that can be dehydrating.
- Cold spoon
This is the simplest of all home remedies. The coldness of the spoon helps tighten up the skin around your eyes as well as relax the blood vessel vessels, thus offering relief to puffy and tired eyes.
To use cold spoon:
- Place 6 metal spoons in your refrigerator for 20 minutes and then remove them
- Hold the spoon rounded portion of the cold spoons against your eyes for a few minutes until the spoon becomes warm.
- As the spoon warms, replace it with another cold one from the refrigerator
- Egg Whites
Egg whites have skin-tightening properties that can help to get rid of puffy eyes as well as help prevent wrinkles.
To use Egg Whites:
- Separate the York from 2 eggs and put the whites in a bowl.
- Whip the egg whites thoroughly until you get a stiff consistency.
- Add a few drops of witch hazel, a natural skin-tightening astringent.
- Use a brush or soft cloth to apply this mixture under your eyes and allow it to dry.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes.
- Do this after a few hours.
- Salt water
Hot water and salt also works as a simple remedy to help reduce swelling and puffiness under your eyes. The salt water help get rid of the fluid retention in a way similar to osmosis.
To use salt water:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of salt in a bowl containing 2 cups of water. Make sure the water is not too hot.
- Soak cotton wool eye pads in this warm salty water and place them over your eyelids for a few minutes.
- Repeat the process for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Eat diuretic foods
Diuretic foods are basically foods that can help you flush out excess water. Eating diuretic foods will help you get rid of puffy eyes.
Puffy eyes is also caused by exhaustion or lack of sleep so make sure you try get in at least 8 hours of sleep every night or at least try to find out time to rest up with naps during the day.
Staying awake for too long makes your eyes work harder and this causes excess fluid and fat to accumulate in your eye area giving your puffy eyes.
- Water melon
The coolness of the fruit refreshes and soothes the skin. Watermelon also contains antioxidants that exert anti-aging effects on the skin.
To use water melon:
- Take some watermelon, de-seed it and make a pulp.
- Dip eye cotton pads into the pulp and place it on your puffy eyes for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with plain water.
- Ice cubes
The coolness of the ice will sooth the skin and help get rid of puffy eyes:
To use ice cubes:
- Place ice cubes in a towel and gently place it on your puffy eyes for 2 minutes
- Repeat this for as long as you can to get rid of puffy eyes
The tropical papaya will ease the burning sensation on your eye skin.
To use papaya:
- Slice the papaya and place it directly on your puffy eyes.
- Let it stay for about 20 minutes before washing it off with tap water.
- Rose water
Rose water is an astringent that soothes and refreshes the skin
To use Rose water:
- Dab some water into a cotton pad and apply it on the puffy eyes.
- Use over-the-counter eye drops
Over the counter eye drops will help to reduce effects of allergies such as itchiness and hence helping you to avoid rubbing of eyes.
- Sleeping on your back
Sleeping on your back helps to prevent and get rid of puffy eyes faster. Sleeping on your back prevents water from pooling up under your eyes overnight.
Chilled tomatoes can also help to reduce the puffiness of eyes.
To use tomato:
- Get thin slices of a ripe tomato and place them in a refrigerator for 20 minutes and then remove them.
- Place the tomato slices over your eyes and take a nap.
- Remove the tomato slices after 15 minute and wash off your eyes with water.
- Use chilled cream
Another way of getting rid of puffy eyes is by use of a massaging chilled face cream around the eyes.
To use chilled cream:
Keep your chilled under eye cream or facial eye cream in a fridge so that it is sufficiently cold. Now use this cream for massaging the eye lightly and then leave it on.
- How to get rid of puffy eyes allaboutvision.com/cosmetic/puffy-eyes.htm
- Natural solutions for puffy eyes https://www.annmariegianni.com/10-natural-solutions-for-puffy-eyes/
- Natural ways to get rid of swollen eyes www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-puffy-eyes/