Peeling skin on face is a natural process of shedding an old top layer of the skin. In the case of excessive peeling, it can be very painful and unsightly. For women, it can be very difficult for them to apply and keep makeup for long. Get an insight on the causes side effects, remedy and treatment.
Peeling Skin on Face Causes
The following are the main causes of skin peeling on your face:
According to Joshua Zeichner, M.D., director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City, ultraviolet rays from the sun destroy skin cells. These dead skin cells will slough off at a later stage.
Also, individuals who use chemical peels to make their skin lighter are likely to experience peeling skin too. The destroyed skin will peel and flake off. In some instances, you may experience blisters formation before peeling.
- Certain medication
There are some medicines that are used to cure acne and wrinkles such as retinoid products can lead to skin peeling on the face. You are likely to experience skin flaking around the mouth and nose.
It is advisable to reduce the number of times when you are applying the creams on the face. Also, avoid touching or applying the cream on the sensitive regions like nose and eyes.
There are other medical substances like benzoyl peroxide, sulfa and salicylic acid which causes dry skin and flaking. It is advisable to skip the products and use gentle cleansers and oil-free moisturizers.
- Dry Skin
The condition makes the skin cells not to stick together and in the process, you may experience peeling skin on face or hands or feet. Cold weathers are associated with dry skin which can facilitate flaky and peeling complexion.
To avoid peeling skin from occurring on your face, make sure you face is hydrated by using moisturizers that make your skin oily, and normal. Use cleansers that do not strip off your natural oils. Drinking plenty of water will help you remain hydrated.
- Skin conditions
There are some chronic inflammatory skin conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis and eczema can cause the skin of your face to peel off. Therefore, keeping your face hydrated will help to avoid peeling of the skin.
Use of hot water instead of lukewarm water can lead to skin peeling due to irritation. Use gentle cleansers and avoid harsh chemicals to assist in the maintenance of the natural oils on the skin.
There are some cosmetic ingredients that cause allergic reactions on the skin and this will trigger redness and itching on the skin. In the process of itching, you will discover your skin flaking and be peeling off.
Therefore, it is advisable to consult your dermatologist to undertake allergy test before or reading the labels on the skin care products one is using. This will help avoid peeling of the skin either on your face or hands.
- Skin Psoriasis
This is a skin condition that occurs when your body reacts by generating new skin cells faster than usual. This condition will result in redness appearance on the skin due to irritation and later you may experience scaling and flaking of the skin.
This is an inheritable condition from the family history and it is characterized by varying degrees of scaly, itchy skin that sheds, and peels.
Peeling Skin on Face from Acne Medication
The use of Benzoyl peroxide in getting rid of acne can cause the appearance of the dry skin characterized by irritation and mild peeling of the skin. The condition only stops when the body comes up with the products.
Benzoyl peroxide has its advantages since it helps get rid of clogged dead skin cells and oils in the pores through peeling inside the skin pores. This process also inhibits the reappearance of acne due to oily skin.
The peeling activity caused by benzoyl peroxide relaxes and furthermore separates the skin break out impactions with the goal that they shed out the pores. With the constant use of benzoyl peroxide keeps the attachments from framing.
Here are some procedures on how to stop peeling of skin from acne. These steps include:
Use a gentle cleanser to wash or remove dirt and oil. The cleaners should be free from fragrance, parabens, sodium lauryl sulfates and oil.
Wipe your face with a cotton pad soaked with water-based toner to help get rid of dirt and dead skin cells. Use toners that are free from the fragrance of alcohol.
Apply either salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide lightly on your face. Keep watching the progress of treatment and in case you realize the peeling is getting worse consult your dermatologist.
Use an oil free moisturizer after applying acne medication. The moisturizer helps to soothe the skin that is peeling and also the itching effect. Avoid rubbing the moisture close to your nose and eyes.
Apply sunscreen that does not contain oil since the medication makes your skin to become skin photosensitive. Therefore, the sunscreen will make it become more imperative for proper skin protection.
Face Peeling From Sunburn
This occurs when the facial skin responds to excessive exposure to UV radiation. The facial skin will be marked by redness and appearance of white patches. In severe condition state, you are likely to experience the appearance of blisters and swelling.
People with fair skin tone are more prone to experiencing such state than people with dark skin since they have a larger layer of melanin that absorb those damaging rays for the sun.
Therefore, the process of peeling skin is advantageous since it helps get rid of damaged cells that can later turn into skin cancer.
Here are some steps that can help get rid of peeling skin on the face caused by sunburned. The steps include:
Use lukewarm bath that will help to soothe sunburned skin and loosen the destroyed skin cells for easy removal. Keep off from using hot water since it can result in irritation. Bath twice or once in a day to avoid such peeling excessively.
Wipe the peeling skin on your face using either a disposable cleaning cloth or a soft washcloth to remove them with causing any harm. Rough removal of the peels from the face can cause pain.
Use soft towel fabric to pat yourself after bathing. Avoid use of tough and rough fabric after a bath since in the process of rubbing; the peels can be huge and painful.
Use a pair of clean scissors to cut off any hanging peels from your facial skin. Avoid pulling off the peels roughly as it can result in bleeding.
Use antibiotic ointment around the edges of the peels to avoid further infections and irritations. The ointment keeps the bacteria causing the infection.
Use a moisturizer containing Aloe Vera and apply to the peeling skin. This helps to restore the strength and flexibility of the damaged skinned. The moisturizer also helps to reduce the amount of skin that will peel.
Skin Peeling on Face Side Effects
Chemical peels have some ingredients that have the following side effects:
This condition appears during the healing process of the chemical peels. The redness may last for some months but they are temporal.
Some chemical peels may result in the formation of scars. The use of antibiotics and steroid medications can help lighten up the scars and inhibits its visibility.
- Changes in skin color
Some of the medicines can result in hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation. This condition of changes in skin color is more common to individuals with darker skin than those with light skin.
The chemical peels can trigger the appearance of the herpes virus that can result in cold sores. It is unusual for the chemical peels to result in a bacterial or fungal infection.
- Heart, kidney or liver damage
In case you use a deep chemical peel there is a probability of damaging heart muscle which can result in the heart to beat irregularly. The chemical peels can also damage the kidney and liver in case they go deeper into the skin.
Therefore, it is advisable to use chemical peels that have a low concentration of the active ingredients to reduce the risk associated with them.
In case you notice deep cracking and peelings, consult a professional medical dermatologist who can help find ways on how to fix them out.
My Skin Keeps Flaking On My Face
Skin flaking and peeling occurs due to a number of reasons. These inflammatory skin conditions that cause flaking and peeling include:
- Acne medication
- Allergic reaction
- Dry skin etc
Baby Skin Peeling on Face
This is a common scenario among many infants, especially during the first 1-3 weeks. The condition happens due to loss of vernix. The peeling of the skin is due to exposure to environmental factors.
Some of these factors include:
- Weather changes
- Certain medications
- Skin diseases
Dry Peeling Skin on Face
Facial skin is susceptible to dryness since it is thin and it is composed of more delicate tissues. The dryness of the skin on the face can result in flaking and peel at later stages.
The following steps will help smoothen your dry flaking skin on the face. The steps include:
Exfoliate your face with a soft washcloth by scrubbing gently in a circular motion to get rid of the dry flaky skin. These help your face to be less susceptible to irritation.
Select mild facial cleansers that do not contain sodium lauryl sulfate that is known to strip off the natural oils from your skin. Also, identify products that are free of fragrance and dyes.
The use of whole milk can help heal the dryness since the fat content moisturizes the skin while the lactic acid acts as a mild cleanser. Soak the soft washcloth and massage your face with it gently in a circular motion.
Application of a mild moisturizer will help seal the moisture into your skin after bathing. Constant miniaturization of your facial skin inhibits skin dryness.
Facial masking helps to make the face more hydrated. You can apply a thick layer of fresh aloe Vera gel on the skin to help gets rid of these flakes on your face skin.
How to Remove Peeling Skin from face
This involves the following:
Choose the best skin cleanser that does not contain ingredients that will result in an allergic reaction. The cleanser will help get rid of flaky skin on your face. Use moisturizing cream immediately after washing the face.
This involves scrubbing your face in order to remove the dead skin flakes in order to bring out that beautiful appealing face free from peeling skin. Consult your dermatologist before choosing a certain type of scrubbers.
Observe a gentle face washing routine
Use lukewarm water to wash your face instead of using hot water. Pat the face with a soft towel instead of scrubbing.
Protect your face when necessary
Avoid overexposure to UV rays which is considered to be the most causes of the peeling skin on the face. Use a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 when you consider moving outdoor during hot and sunny weather.
Other methods include:
- Install a humidifier in your house
- Use Vaseline on the affected areas
- Wash your skin using natural remedies like water
- Get rid of any allergens in your diet
- Apply 1% topical hydrocortisone cream
- Apply some aloe Vera gel on your face.
Skin Peeling on Face Home Remedies
These natural remedies include:
This is the best way to minimize dryness and itchiness on the peeling skin. This will help soothe the skin condition and it is prudent to identify the main causes of dry skin.
It helps in maintaining hydration. Oatmeal helps to prevent water loss due to the presence of high level of proteins. The mixture of oatmeal, yogurt, and honey. Some steps to follow include:
- Mix some amount of yogurt, honey, and oatmeal in a bowl
- Apply the paste on the face and rinse after 10minutes.
It contains fatty acids that aim at the moisturizing dry skin. The oil aims to seal or lock the moisture on the tongue to inhibit evaporation. The oil also contains vitamin E that aims at fighting the genes responsible for aging.
- Gently warm the olive oil and literary massage it on the affected region so that the oil penetrates inside the skin. Do this at least three times daily until the condition improves.
- Mix about two tablespoons of salt with the olive oil so as to create a very thick paste. Use the paste as a body scrub so as to exfoliate the dead skin cells. Do the process twice a week until the skin heals fully.
It has soothing and moisturizing ability that aim at removing peeling skin. It also aims at easing the itching effect and inflammation.
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of the fresh Aloe Vera gel and a small amount of the vitamin E oil.
- Use the mixture on the affected skin of the face.
- Allow it to dry and then rinse it off using warm water.
- Repeat the process for about three times daily for at least one week.
It plays an important role when it comes to peeling skin since it provides the skin with moisture and enhances soothing effect. The presence of lactic acid is aim at reducing irritation and itching.
- Soak a clean washcloth in ice-cold whole milk and then wring out any excess milk.
- Put the clean washcloth on the affected skin area for about 10 minutes.
- Then wash the skin using very clean water.
- Repeat the process about 3 times daily until the skin is much healthy again.
Lemon and Sugar Scrub
The acidic content of lemon helps to dissolve the presence of dead skin cells and aim to minimize the peeling effect. Also, a mixture of sugar and lemon helps to perform great natural work of scrubbing the dead skin cells and enhance the soothing effect.
- Mix together 1 cup of sugar, juice from half a lemon, and also one tablespoon each of honey and the olive oil.
- Use the mixture on the skin and then rub in very circular motions for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off using cold water.
- Repeat the process at least once a week until you do away with the peeling skin.
It contains adequate water that helps to hydrate the skin. The cooling properties help to ease the itching and inflammation effect. The presence of vitamin C helps to ease the sunburn effect and facilitate the repair of the skin.
- Grate a cucumber and use the paste on the skin peeling on face.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then rinse it off using warm water.
- Do the process twice daily for two weeks so as to maintain enough skin moisture.
How to Get Rid of Peeling Skin on Face Fast
Peeling skin on the face to look uncomfortable and painful. Here are some of the ways on how to get rid of this condition. The steps include:
Wash your face with a moisturizing cleanser that can hydrate and smooth out flakes on your face. Rinse your face with lukewarm water and use a soft washcloth to pat the face.
Massage your face with a mixture of apple slices, yogurt, olive oil and honey. Yogurt is used since it is a gentle exfoliator for dry skin, while the honey is a humectant that draws the moisture back into your skin.
Use cleansers that contain salicylic acid that helps to remove the epidermis of impurities, halt the peeling and reveals new skin underneath. Use of almond and olive oil, jojoba, grapeseed oil and vitamin E can also be used to slough off dead skin cells.
The use of milk mask can also help to get rid of your peeling skin. This step involves the following:
- Put some ice cubes in the bowl containing milk
- Soak the washcloth in the milk and massage your face
- Rinse your face with cold water
How to Get Rid Of Peeling Skin on Face after Sunburn
- Experiencing sunburn is a bad moment in life. Peeling skin from the face due to sunburn create an uncomfortable and painful experience in life.
- Apply aloe Vera on your face at least twice per day. The herb promotes healing of the peeling skin and also, enhances miniaturization of the skin.
- After washing your face, apply a facial moisturizer. This helps to keep in the moisture needed for optimum skin health.
- You can also use a honey mask to get rid of peeled skin from your face. Rinse the face after 10 minutes of masking and then pat your face with a soft towel.
- How to Stop Peeling Skin From Acne: http://www.livestrong.com/article/232249-how-to-stop-peeling-skin-from-acne/
- How to Remove Peeling Skin From a Sunburn: http://www.livestrong.com/article/186972-how-to-remove-peeling-skin-from-a-sunburn/
- Best Ways to Get Rid of Peeling Skin: https://www.getridofthings.com/beauty/skin/get-rid-of-peeling-skin/
- How to Stop Skin from Peeling on Your Face: http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/moisturizing/basics/how-to-stop-skin-from-peeling-on-your-face3.htm
- Reasons the Skin on Your Face Might Be Peeling: http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/moisturizing/basics/5-reasons-the-skin-on-your-face-might-be-peeling.htm
- What to use for dry peeling skin on face? http://www.dermanities.com/use-dry-peeling-skin-face