What does it mean to have itchy armpits? Explore on the causes, symptoms, and natural remedies to get rid of underarm itching.
What does it mean when you have itchy armpits
Itchy armpits cause an urge of scratching the armpits constantly due to the tickling or tingling feeling. The constant itching in many occasion results in a rash, red bumps, swelling, inflammation and the skin can be dry and flaky.
Many people think scratching the armpits help to get rid of the itching effect but this is not the case. Sometimes, you may experience infection and this makes the armpits even worse than itching. In most cases, underarm itching is accompanied with development of rashes but there are some instances there is no rash in the armpits.
There are some conditions in the armpits that can result in the formation of rashes such as bacterial or fungal infection and even improper method of shaving the armpits. You may also develop itchy underarms without rashes due to excessive sweating or allergic reactions to deodorants.
It is recommended to understand the cause of the itchy armpits before seeking some ways on how to get rid of the condition. The information in the article is useful since it provide some of the causes of itchy armpits and some of the natural remedies that can help to get rid of the condition.
Itchy Armpits Causes
According to the research done by dermatologists, most of the causes of itchy armpits are harmless. However, you may experience discomfort and embarrassment since the underarm itch range from mild tickle to a severe itch.
Here are some of the most common reasons why you have itchy underarms. The causes include the following:
Shaving underarms area with the use of dull razor blade could result in the formation of razor bumps that could cause itchy armpits. This also occurs when you don’t use the right softener during shaving. It is recommended to use a sterilized sharp razor in order to prevent itchy armpits.
Also, ensure the underarm skin is lubricated and moist before shaving. This is the reason why it is recommended to shave the armpits during shower. Moisturize the armpits with application of a small amount of coconut oils or jojoba oil to avoid itching in the armpits.
Always ensure the razor blade is dry and clean between the shaves to avoid buildup of infection from bacteria. The use of old razor can result in another skin condition known as folliculitis which is an inflammation of the hair follicles.
According to Dr. Kathleen Romito on WebMD, skin folliculitis will result in red pimples that have a hair in the center. You are likely to experience intense itching and inflammation of the hair follicles due to the infection. Avoid scratching the itchy armpits and change time to time the razor when shaving the armpits.
Aloe vera is a natural remedy that can help to ease or soothe the skin from the armpits. Extract aloe vera gel and apply on the affected part of the armpits. The healing properties in the aloe vera promote faster healing of the infection.
You can also use 1% hydrocortisone cream to reduce itching and swelling caused by irritation, dryness, and even folliculitis.
The skin condition is marked by formation of rashes under the armpits. Eczema outbreak on the skin could result in dry and flaky skin. Eczema is also known as contact dermatitis and atopic dermatitis. The skin condition occurs due to an allergic reaction to something touching your skin.
Some of the common symptoms of eczema are redness, blisters, and itchiness. According to dermatologist, even the material your bra or other items of clothing are made of can cause contact dermatitis. Sometimes it can be due to soaps, lotions, or other cosmetic products that come into contact with your underarms.
It is important to understand the factors that trigger eczema outbreak under the armpits. You can try changing the soaps or laundry that you are using to see the changes. Eczema outbreak can occur due to stress or anxiety to. Reduce stress by doing more exercise or yoga in order to avoid itchy armpits.
There are certain deodorants that can result in itchy armpits with rashes. This is due to the chemical contents that are said to be allergens. According to Dermatologist, Dr. David Bank, the skins around the underarms are delicate and are susceptible to itching due allergic reactions.
Also, excessive sweating makes the area to be moist and warm which make the environment to be conducive for bacterial infection. There are few deodorants that can result in itchy armpits due to allergic reactions with rash.
Some of the common ingredients that are found in the deodorant and can result in allergic reactions are aluminum, alcohol, and fragrances. It is recommended to change to natural coconut deodorant which is less likely to cause irritation to your skin and keep you smelling fresh throughout the day. You can also make your own natural lavender deodorant.
- Fungal infection
Candida is a type of fungal infection in the armpits that result in intense itchy that result in the formation of rashes. The condition thrive well where the environment is moist and warm. Therefore ensure the armpits as dry as much as possible.
According to dermatologist Dr. Denise M. Aaron, candidiasis is quite common in the mouth, groin, and the armpits and between skin folds of the breasts and stomach. People with compromised immune system are susceptible of developing a yeast infection.
You can use antifungal creams to help reduce underarm itch caused by candida. However, there are other natural remedies that can help to get rid of the condition from the underarm.
- Bacterial infection
Bacterial infection can be the reason behind formation of rashes and itching effect under the armpits in many occasion. Bacteria thrive well where the environment is moist and warm just like the fungal infection.
Observe proper hygiene in order to prevent the growth of bacteria around the armpits. Wash the armpits for at least twice to make the armpits free from sweat.
It is less common to experience armpit abscess in many occasion. According to Dr. Melinda Ratini on WebMD, it is advisable to apply warm compress and avoid scratching the armpit abscess at whatever cost.
This is the main reasons why you have itchy armpits. Intertrigo is another name for rash that occurs between folds of skin and it causes intense itching in the underarm area. The rash can be red or reddish-brown and very often the skin can become cracked and emit a foul odor.
It is advisable to follow a good hygiene under the armpits in order to prevent the formation of rashes and bad odor from coming out.
- Inverse Psoriasis
The condition is marked by an itchy red patch in the armpits that is shiny in nature. It is a little bit difficult to get rid of inverse psoriasis under the armpits since the underarm areas are prone to irritation and sweating.
According to doctors from mayo clinic, it is recommended to avoid all the triggers that result in the formation of the skin condition.
- Heat Rash in Armpits (Miliaria Rubra)
This skin condition occurs when you are doing work outs or intense exercise that causes formation of heat rash on the armpit or upper torso. This is a condition that occurs when the sweat ducts become blocked and cause small red spots that itch or cause a prickling sensation.
You may also experience heat rash on inner thighs. According to doctors from mayo clinic, avoid wearing tight clothing in order to get rid of itchy armpits.
- Hidradenitis suppurativa
This is a skin condition that result in small itchy red bumps in the armpit along with blackheads. It is thought that this condition occurs because of a blockage in the sweat and oil glands.
Keep the underarm area clean and dry in order to prevent occurrence and reoccurrence of itchy red bumps under the armpits. A warm compress can also help to soothe itchy underarms and it can also relieve armpit pain.
Itchy Armpits Cancer
According to the report from the charity Cancer Research UK, the formation of rash on the skin and itching is mostly due to eczema and rather not cancer. In less common cases, you may experience itchy armpits and breast due to cancer known as inflammatory breast cancer.
It is recommended to visit your health care provider in case you notice any unusual changes in your breasts in order to rule out any form of serious condition.
Itchy Armpits no Rash
In most cases, any form of itching in the armpits is usually accompanied by rashes but there are some instances you may not discover formation of rashes. When the condition is mild, you are likely not able to notice appearance of rashes with naked eyes.
In case you do not develop rashes, it could be due to mild allergies (to deodorants, antiperspirants and other allergens), axillary hyperhidrosis i.e. excessive sweating of the armpits (known as axillary hyperhidrosis), lymphoma cancer type i.e. cancer will cause the skin to become itchy without a rash, weight loss, fever, swollen lymph nodes, and fatigue
Treatment of the condition depends on the cause of the condition. However, mild allergies are treated by, antihistamines, 1% cortisone creams and Claritin 10 mg tablet. You may also use natural remedies to treat the condition.
Itchy Armpits Deodorant
Commercial deodorant has certain chemicals that can trigger the appearance of rashes or itching effect under the armpits. This is because the deodorant does not match well with the delicate skin in your armpits.
Sometimes, these deodorants contain some elements that can irritate the skin in the armpits causing itching effect due to the inflammation.
It is recommended to consult your dermatologist on the best deodorant for your skin in order to avoid any form of skin inflammation under the armpit. Also, read the instructions that come with the product in order to know the chemical components in the product.
Itchy Armpits after Shaving
Shaving is the most common cause of itchy underarms as mentioned above. According to research done by dermatologist from mayo clinic, itchiness on the body can be triggered by shaving, allergy from deodorant to the shaved skin, allergy to antiperspirants, or due to bacteria from unsanitary razors.
You are required to follow a number of routines in order to prevent itchy armpits from occurring. Always make sure you observe hygiene and care while carrying out your shave.
To combat itchiness due to shaving, it is recommended to use new razor that is clean and sterilized in order to avoid formation of razor bumps. The red bumps can trigger skin folliculitis or inflammation to the hair follicle.
Inflammation of the hair follicle can also form a breeding ground for bacteria if you use dull razor more frequently. To bring down the skin irritation, you can use shaving creams and gel during shaving.
It is recommended after shaving to use a moisturizer at least 10 to 15 min. you can also use deodorant after the moisturizer has been absorbed. In case itchiness still occurs, you can try changing the brand of your deodorant.
If this problem continue to cause you discomfort, you should see your doctor you may be dealing with an infection.
How to Get Rid of Itchy Armpits
There are numerous home remedies that can be used to treat underarm itching. Some of the common home remedies include:
- Aloe Vera
It has soothing properties that help to get rid of burning sensation that can result in itching effect. It also has anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties are responsible for preventing any outbreak. They reduce the color of armpits and sooth the skin.
How to use
- Pluck fresh aloe vera leaves.
- Split it open and take out the gel.
- With the help of cotton pad apply this over affected area.
- Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cold clean water.
- Pat dry and repeat daily until you have full recovery.
- Coconut Oil
It has soothing effect that reduces friction that causes itching and also soothes itching caused by armpit rash. The cooling effect helps to reduce the skin irritation. It also has antibacterial properties that keep check on infection outbreak.
It has essential fatty acids that are used to moisturize the underarm skin. These fatty acids maintain good pH level in skin. It reduces heat rash under armpits by calming down inflated nerves.
How to use
- Take 1 tablespoon of semi solid coconut oil.
- Hold this under your armpits for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry using clean hand towel.
- Do this remedy twice a day until it clears rashes.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Eczema
It has certain properties that can be used to keep skin eczema at bay due to the soothing effect. You can either use the ACV topically for instant relief from itching or add some to a bath.
How to use
- Soak a cotton ball in ACV and apply it over affected area.
- It might sting for few seconds.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Don’t squeeze of apply pressure while put oil under armpit.
Alternatively, you can also mix apple cider vinegar with aloe vera to help to get rid of underarm itching more effectively.
How to use
- Take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Mix 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this over affected area.
- Leave it for 30 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Pat dry and apply some olive oil and keep it.
- Do these 1 time everydays until you get rid of armpit rashes?
- Cold Compress
It helps to relieve or ease the burning sensation and skin irritation faster. The cooling effect helps to clean the armpits and take care of the care of itching underarms. It can speed up the healing process by reducing the symptoms.
It has the ability to prevent invasion of bacterial or fungal infection under the armpits. It will prevent you from having small bumps and fluid filled blisters.
How to use
- Take a small piece of cotton.
- Put handful of ice cubes and wrap it.
- Place this under your arms and keep it until the ice melts down completely.
- Repeat it twice a day to treat underarms rashes symptoms such as itching and skin burning.
- Hot Compress
It plays a vital role of reducing the chance of fungal infection outbreak. It also helps to prevent the skin flaking and reduces swelling of underarms caused due to rash. The cleaning ability of the hot compress promotes faster healing of the underarm skin.
How to use
- Take 1 cup of warm water, make sure that it is not to hot for skin.
- Soak a cotton towel in war water.
- Squeeze out extra water and place it under your armpit.
- Keep it until it cools down.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day until symptoms goes away.
- Baking Soda
This is the natural remedy that is known to get rid of red rashes under the armpits. It has bleaching properties which can remove bacterial and fungal colonies. It is excellent for reducing swelling and redness. Such treatment soothes the skin and prevents flaking of skin.
How to use
- Take 3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix enough water to make thick paste.
- Apply this paste over infected underarm.
- Leave it for 30 minutes, if you have time let it dry naturally.
- Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Repeat this home remedy daily until you get rid of itching and irritation.
It mainly used to get rid of underarm itching that is caused by psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema. According to research, it is proven to be effective in soothing itchy skin caused by psoriasis is an oatmeal treatment.
How to use
- Take 2 clean cotton socks and fill it with oatmeal. Prefer colloidal oatmeal over other.
- Fill bathtub with warm water and put these socks inside.
- Leave it for 20 minutes, until water cools down.
- Soak your body into this for 30 minutes.
- Take those soaked oatmeal socks and squeeze them around underarms.
- Take a clean water shower, repeat it daily.
Alternatively, you can use a mixture of oatmeal with lavender paste for effective treatment of skin condition causing itching effect under the armpits.
How to use
- Put 3 tablespoons of colloidal oatmeal in blender.
- Add 10 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of lavender oil.
- Blend this for 5 minutes to make paste.
- Apply this paste on your itching under arms.
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Does this remedy daily until you get full recovery.
- Shea Butter
It has antibacterial, anti-fungal and skin nourishing properties that help to treat an armpit rash. It also nourishes your skin and prevents dryness causing itching and irritation.
How to use
- Take 1 glass of lukewarm water and add 15 drops of tea tree oil.
- Wash you’re under arms with this solution followed by rinsing with clean water.
- Pat dry and let it get some air for 10 minutes.
- Apply some shea butter on affected area.
- Spread it gently with your finger and rub for 5 minutes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and rinse with water.
- Use this remedy daily until it clears rashes.
- Olive Oil
It has vitamin E that helps to nourish the skin. It prevents them from flaking and getting dry. Vitamin E is also helpful in reducing inflammation, small bumps and redness of skin. It promotes new skin cell generation and cure damaged cells.
How to use
- Get some extra virgin olive oil to get pure benefits.
- Apply the oil directly under your itchy armpits.
- Keep this for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Try this home remedy daily to get rid of underarm rash.
- Causes of Itchy Armpits And Easy Home Remedies: https://www.curejoy.com/content/causes-of-itchy-armpits/
- Itchy Armpits: Causes and Treatments: https://www.doctorshealthpress.com/general-health-articles/ways-to-treat-itchy-armpits/
- Itchy armpits (itchy underarms) causes, symptoms, treatments, and home remedies: https://www.belmarrahealth.com/itchy-armpits-itchy-underarms-causes-symptoms-treatments-and-home-remedies/
- How to Treat an Armpit Rash: https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-an-armpit-rash#modal-close
- Itchy Underarms: https://www.enkiverywell.com/itchy-underarms.html