What are the causes of white bumps on your lips? Are white bumps harmless? Can they be a symptom of any serious disease? How to get rid of white bumps on lips? Is it possible to prevent white bumps from appearing? Below are answers to these questions.
White Spots on Lips
What are these white spots on lips? They are white small dots, patches, blotches or bumps which appear on either lower lip, upper lip or on corners of lips. They appear as very small papules that are easily visible around the mouth when stretched or even under the mouth skin. Many people easily confuse them with herpes or STD syndrome.
Do you have small white or yellow colored small bumps on your lips? Are they painless?
Most people complain of having white dots on lips that do not show symptoms, any pain and discomfort. The only kind of discomfort that you may feel is the cosmetic trauma that these white bumps may cause.
White Spots on Corner of lips
It is common for dots or Spots to form on the edges or corner of lips, but sometimes white dots on corner of lips may be a condition known us herpes lesions which is generally known to begin on the corners of the mouth and its characteristics can be identified as follow:
- Papules may appear on other parts of the body such as the penis shaft or tongue
- The white spots may appear as small blister especially at their onset
- The small white spots on lips may rapture
- Some papules may become septic or ulcerated before rupturing
- Mostly the white Spots on lips and mouth corners may be painful if they are a sign of herpes
- The white spots generally if they are a sign of herpes they may take time to heal
White spots on lower lip and upper lip
Both the low and the upper lip can get infected with white spots and dots. On the upper lip the spots may appear raised, small or large and on the lower lip a single dot or a cluster of white dots may emerge. The cluster of white spots may also rapture before healing.
White Spots on Lips Causes
The following are causes of white spots on lip:
- Oral Acne. Acne outbreaks are usually caused by clogged pores, poor skin care or hormonal imbalance in the body. Clogged pores are commonly known for causing white bumps on the skin.
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Little white bumps on lips may also be caused by human papillomavirus infection. This virus may affect your genitals areas throat as well as your throat.Human papillomavirus is usually transmitted through having sex intercourse with a person that is already infected. In this case white bumps usually appear on your inner lip and they are pale red in color.The white Spots that are caused by human papillomavirus are small, painless, appear in clusters and are fluid-filled. They may also in some cases be big and spiky.This Is a disease that is associated with loss of pigmentation on mouth lips. The common cause of vintiligo are autoimmune diseases. Vintiligo may cause white patches on lips.
- Mucous cyst. Mucous cyst is actually sacs that are filled with fluid. These small white bumps on inside of lips are tender to touch and are usually whitish. This spots usually appear if you are biting your lip too much or if you have a lip piercing.
- Natural elements. Contact with some minerals such as titanium and some other chemicals can also cause white bumps to appear on lips. These chemicals cause an allergy that is followed by white bumps, burning sensation and swelling. Also the lips may begin to peel off as a result of coming in contact with these elements.
- Oral Thrust. Oral Thrust is another cause of white bumps on your lips. These bumps usually appear patchy. Oral thrust is caused by Candida albicans and other fungal infections. People who use anti-biotic and corticosteroids are more likely to get these bumps.
- Herpes simplex virus (HSV). If there are white patches on your lips then there is a high probability that you have Herpes simplex virus. These bumps usually appear in the form of white blisters and they may be itchy and painful. these blisters are caused by a viral infection that is transmitted by skin.
- Canker Sores. The canker sores usually start as tiny white spots on inside of your lips and eventually become larger. Canker stores is the major cause of white spots on lips, however the reason people suffer from canker sores remains unknown. According to NHS choices a quotable authority on dermatological conditions, the factors that can cause white sores on your mouth and lips are; stress, sensitivity to certain foods, injuries to the lips and nutrient deficiency.
- Trauma and bruising on mouth. Trauma to your lips e.g. from frequent biting cause small areas of scar tissue which may be perceived as as white bumps when view against the background of the lips.
- Fibromas. It is an overgrowth of soft tissues that are typically benign. Often fibromas are pink, sometimes white or light colored and if irritated can appear reddish or bluish. Fibromas cause tooth-grinding, lip-biting or a rub of poorly-fitted dentures or a sharp spots on the teeth or from braces.
- Whitehead, white pimple on lip. A white spot on the lip line could be a pimple or whitehead which is caused by clogged pores. When pores are clogged with sweat, excess oil and dead skin cells, bacterial activity leads to an infection within the pore. This result will be a small raised dot on the lip line that looks like a pimple.
- Oral cancer . Oral cancer may manifest itself in an array of symptoms , among them small white bumps on the lips, mouth, throat and on tonsils, sometimes you may find that the patches, pumps and dots become open sores and bumps that do not heal and often remain hard.
- Stress, sun exposure ,smoking and after Juvederm. Other causes of white spots on the lips include smoking, stress and too much exposure to the sun. Some people who undergone juvederm are usually affected with white marks on lips. This can be viewed as coincidental or unrelated.
Smoking is the major cause of leukoplakia in mouth. Leuokoplakia manifest itself as white bumps and patches in the inner lips.
Stress also leads to white bumps on lips. When stressed the body is likely to produce excess oil that lead to acne breakouts.
Fordyce Spots Lips
Fordyce spots are small raised bumps or spots that appear on the shaft of penis, the labia, scrotum, or next to the lips. They can be yellow-white, pale red or skin-colored. Fordyce spots are named after the American dermatologist John Addison Fordyce who first described them scientifically In a medical journal and named them Fox Fordyce disease.
Fordyce spots often appear on vermilion border of the lips, (where the lip on the face meets the skin of the face). This spots can also be found on the foreskin of the penis.
Researched facts on Fordyce spots
- Fordyce spots are not sexually transmitted disease or infection
- They are not infectious
- Fordyce spots are common in both male and female; they are also not a health concern but should they be a cosmetic concern then you need to see your doctor.
Symptoms of Fordyce Spots on lips
Fordyce spots are a very common problem affecting many people around the globe and mostly Fordyce spots manifest themselves in the following ways.
- The lips show small white dots
- Corners of the lips get spots
- White patches may develop on the lips
- Spots may appear having yellow color on lips
- White marks appear on lips
- Small white bumps appear on the lips
- The white bumps are mostly not painful
- Pale color of the labia in female
- In male, purple or red papules on scrotum may appear. The papules are painless and do not itch.
- Red papules on the shaft of the penis that may in some cases bleed during intercourse.
Fordyce spots on lips- causes
Fordyce spots are caused due to over secreting glands near the lips when they get too full with pus or oil. This causes small white spots around the mouth. The reason for this abnormal secretion of the glands is that the natural oil of the skin (sebum) gets trapped in the sebaceous glands, this oil get secreted in the hair shaft , but due to absence of hair follicles the body does not have any other way of secretion. This results to formation of Fordyce spots.
However, there is no specific age group of people that can suffer from this problem .Fordyce attacks everyone and it is not a skin infection as in case of pimples which are caused when a bacteria lives on skin and feeds on sebaceous oil, causing inflammation of the surrounding tissue.
Fordyce Spots Treatment
Fordyce spots on lips are self resolving, they can get cured without any treatment but for people who finds them unattractive and are concern cosmetically, there are plenty of treatment option available which speeds up cure of such spots. They include:
- Tretinoin Cream or gel, this is an anti-sebum cream which is combined with alpha hydroxyl acid agent and works effectively in reducing prominence of the spots.
- Trichloro acetic acid chemical peel. This chemical works by peeling of the spots from the skin and this cause spots prominence to decrease. Some side effects such as skin becoming sensitive and dry may emerge but continuous moistening is need.
- Cryosurgery . In this treatment procedure Fordyce spots are destructed and destroyed in cold temperatures. This is the most effective way of getting rid of Fordyce spots on lips but there is a risk of nerve or tissue damage in the surrounding area of spots.
- Pulsed Dye Laser treatment. Pulsed dye laser treatment involves delivering a highly concentrated light beam on the skin surface. This light beam destroys the underlying blood vessels. When used to treat Fordyce spots, pulsed dye laser destroys the underlying blood vessels. That delivers oxygen and nutrients to the sebaceous glands.The glands soon get dissipated due to lack of oxygen and nutrients. This method is used in cases where the patient has red Fordyce spots because the process lessens discoloration. This treatment is very expensive but very effective in doing away with Fordyce spots.
- This treatment is widely used by dermatologist and is less expensive than other available surgical methods. In this process, the Fordyce spots are burned out by applying Hyfrecator or a fine probe, the affected area is numbed using anesthetic cream and then spots are vaporized using heat conduction from a metal probe heated electrically.
Fordyce Spots on Lips- Home Remedies
Here are some home remedies which can provide faster cure for Fordyce spots :
- Increased intake of garlic in diet can in a greater way help reduce Fordyce bumps.
- Improved personal hygiene especially hygiene of genital and vagina can avoid significantly worsening of the spots.
- Increased intake in vitamin A,B complex ,C,D,E and K helps in resolving the problem faster.
- Using Apple cider Vinegar on Fordyce spots on lips can also help in a greater way. Use it once or twice.
White Dots on Lips when Stretched
When you stretch your lips out to tighten your face when you are washing it, all of a sudden you see white dots under the skin of your lips. This shouldn’t be a cause of worry. These white dots are not associated with any disease or illness, nor are they infectious but rather they represent a natural occurrence on the body. No treatment is required unless you have a cosmetic concerns, then it will advisable to consult a dermatologist.
Can you get Whitehead on your Lip
Whitehead is a mild type of acne that forms when dead skin cells, oil and bacteria become trapped within one of your pores. When this pore becomes clogged it is covered with a thin layer of skin, it appears white on its surface.
Where do White heads occur?
- Whiteheads can develop anywhere on the body but tend to be found in areas saturated with pores, which are found in large numbers on the skin of the face, chest, back, shoulders and arms .However white are commonly observed on face and will most often populate the oiliest part of the face such as nose, forehead and chin. In most cases people with cases of acne may see higher prevalence of whiteheads on the trunk of their body.
- It is rare for white heads to affect the lips but if you see symptoms of whiteheads on your lips it is advisable to consult a dermatologist.
Milia on Lips
What are Milia?
Milia are a medical term for small keratin-filled cyst that affect all age groups. This cyst may appear singularly or appear in clusters. They commonly seen in infants as tiny, hard, white bumps on cheeks or around the nose and eyes. Near 50% of infants develop them. Adults can develop Milia on the face as well including very delicate areas like eyelids.
Milia can form on arms or hands especially in older patients with severe sun-damaged skin or those with certain acquired genetic skin condition. In all cases, milia are benign and treatment is not necessary since they can eventually go away on their own.
Causes of Milia
Milia form as a result of the skin’s inability to naturally exfoliate. This results to dead skin cells composed predominantly of keratin (a protein found in hair and nails) to build underneath causing a bump to form. Unlike acne, milia are cysts, that do not form from a pore and typically do not get inflamed or develop redness or swelling.
How to Get Rid of Milia
In most cases nothing can be done to resolve milia problem but however to those who are cosmetically bothersome. Dermatological treatment should be considered. Here are some things that can be done:
- Sun damage is a known causing factor to milia formation; hence use of sun screen is critical for those with a genetically acquired skin disorder.
- Use products of products that enhance exfoliation and skin cell re-generation a factor that causes the skin to be thin and smooth thereby preventing milia from recurring.
- Manual extraction of by dermatologist can be done to extract the milia.
White Spots on Lips Pictures
White Spots on Lips Home Remedy
Here are some home remedies that can help to get rid of this white spots:
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the most effective and simple way to get rid of white spots found on your lips.
Don’t apply the apple cider vinegar directly on your lips as it may cause pain. Take two teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it with a glass of water. Now take a diluted solution and apply on the affected area. Don’t do this repeatedly; it may cause an irritation on your skin. Do this twice or once a week.
Spinach has so many health benefits. It contains folic acid which has healing properties for this kind of white dots and spots on your lips. Spinach has high levels of vitamins A, vitamins B1, vitaminB2, and Vitamin K. which are necessary for body immunity. Take spinach juice three times or two times a week.
Turmeric is the best skin rejuvenating agent and has many antibacterial properties which can help fight and destroy bacteria found on your skin. Mix turmeric powder with few drops of mustard oil or neem oil and make a paste. Apply the paste to the white patches.
Garlic is one of the most popular home remedy for white spots on lips. It has both the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent. Take medium sized garlic and chop it well, make it paste-like then apply it on your mouth lips every morning for two weeks.
Citrus Acid Fruits
Fruits such as papaya and oranges have more amount of citrus acid that has healing properties for lips related disorders. You can directly apply on your lips thrice per week until the white spots disappear.
Radish seeds are very effective home remedies for skin infections. Grind the radish seeds and mix it with apple cider vinegar and apply it on your lips.
Honey has many antibacterial and antifungal properties which can heal all this kind of white patches and dots. Apply few drops of honey to the affected area and wash after 30 minutes. You can also make a paste by mixing it with turmeric powder and then apply it to the white spots.
White dots on lips are also caused by improper or insufficient blood flow in the blood capillaries. Regular intake of ginger can increase circulation flow in your body. This gives blood capillaries around the affected area to receive oxygen and sufficient white blood cells hence healing properties white patches and bumps.
White Spots on Lips Treatment
Treatment of white bumps on lips, from the onset needs a deeper understanding of the underlying cause. Below are common treatments that can be applied to get rid of white bumps and spots on lips after a diagnosis by the physician.
- Fordyce spots are harmless and may not require treatment. But if your concern rises about your appearance then treatment such as Laser therapy or Electro-surgery is done to treat them.
- Oral thrush is treated with antifungal and antibacterial medication available in form of mouthwashes. This medication helps to treat the white spots by preventing further action of the fungal and bacteria.
- Oral herpes symptoms can be suppressed temporally by injection or oral administration of anti-viral agents; however the infection cannot be cure completely.
- Oral cancers are treated with chemotherapeutic agents, radiation therapy or through surgical removal.